The memorial park-museum was established in the period 1904 – 1907 after the initiative of “Tsar Alexander II – The Liberator” Committee with chairman Stoyan Zaimov. The park is located South -West from Pleven, on the authentic place where the detachment of General M.D.Skobelev fought and where the most fierce battles for Pleven liberation took place during the third attack to Pleven on 11th – 12th of September, 1877. On these green heights perished nearly 6 500 people of general M.D.Skobelev detachment which numbered 13 000 people. Since then, this valley housing the Zelenogorski brook was named the “Valley of the Dead”.
In the park, center was constructed a fraternal mound – bone vault. A marble sarcophagus in it contains bones of the Russian warriors from general M. D. Skobelev detachment. Next to the bone-vault can be seen the restored Turkish redoubt “Issa aga” and also 9 fraternal mounds and monuments commemorating the perished heroes.
The park has been constructed after the design of French botanist Jule Lauchaut – manager of princely Sofia parks and gardens. The central park alley is paved with multi-colored river stones forming a wonderful mosaic with elements of national Bulgarian embroidery. Along the central park alley and around the fraternal mound-bone vault are arranged authentic cannons from Russian -Turkish War, 1877-1878.
“Skobelev” park is a cultural monument of national importance.
The site operates upon request on tel. 064/ 83 02 51
“Skobelev” Park – Museum – Pleven city